Saturday, September 27, 2008

family secrets blog


In Family Secrets Kuhn brings up a lot of interesting things to think about while thinking about memories and photographs. Something I found very helpful was when she outlines a way to look at a photograph to help jog the memory. She starts of by saying to “consider the human subjects of the photograph.” She adds that it is helpful to use “she rather than I.” She says that because it is a better way to see the subject how they were at the moment. Kuhn then goes on saying to consider the context of the photograph, then consider the kind of technologies used, then lastly who was the photograph made for and who has seen the photograph and who sees it now. I found knowing these steps very useful for doing the class assignment. 

The picture I have posted on here is the photograph that I brought into class and used in writing the assignment. To most people I’m sure this picture just looks like a little girl sitting with a woman, but to me it is so much more. For me this picture contains that third meaning. When I look at this picture it pierces me. My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer two years ago and passed away shortly after. I was so close with her and she was one of those grandmothers who was always so active and always came up with fun things to do which is always how I like to try and remember her as. While she was going through chemo it changed her completely she was of course weaker and for the first time she looked like an “old person.” Which is something I would have never described her as. Looking at this picture helps jog all the memories we had together.  Another thing Kuhn talks about and we spoke about in class, which I found very interesting, is the idea of simulacrum, having a copy without an original. Hearing that at first you think how is that even possible. Then you just start to really think about it and it makes a little more sense. When you take a picture of someone you are capturing that moment so indeed it is a copy but there really never was an original picture. Well this was definitely one of my favorite pieces to read and am interested in reading about the third meaning, which coincidently is what our band is assigned for. 


Amie Orner

1 comment:

Kate, Barry, Arlo, and Ezra said...

Of course, we have to be careful with the 3rd meaning. You're on the right track, but the 3rd meaning is more than just a picture that makes you feel sad. It is beyond language. So, if you can articulate what you're feeling, then perhaps it isn't the 3rd meaning. Make sense? However, I like that you're thinking ahead here and trying to connect the dots. :)